Alibaba Group says it generated RMB213.5 billion (USD30.8 billion, AUD42.7 billion) of gross merchandise volume (GMV) during the Singles’ Day sales on 11 November 2018, an increase of 27% compared to 2017.
Australian products Swisse (first) and Bio Island (fifth) ranked in the top 10 products, whilst Australia maintained its position in the top five countries selling to China at fourth spot. In the first hour of the event, sales of Australian lamb increased 775% from last year.
“Today we witnessed the strength and rise of China’s consumption economy and consumers’ continued pursuit to upgrade their everyday lifestyles,” said Daniel Zhang, CEO of Alibaba Group. “Participation from the entire Alibaba ecosystem enabled our brand and merchant partners to engage with consumers like never before.”
In the hours leading up to the shopping event, Alibaba’s video streaming platform Youku hosted the fourth annual countdown gala to celebrate the official launch of the festival. Viewers were able to watch the gala live via Youku, as well as across China on two major Chinese TV stations. This year, the gala featured international celebrity appearances and performances from Miranda Kerr, Mariah Carey and Cirque du Soleil.
Key highlights from the 2018 11.11 Global Shopping Festival:
Top 10 countries/regions selling to China by GMV:
- United States
- United Kingdom
- New Zealand
Top 10 imported cross border brand into China:
- Swisse (majority Chinese-owned Australian)
- Bio Island (Australian)
- a2 (New Zealand)
- Elta MD
- Move Free
In the first hour of 11:11 Global Shopping Festival, sales of Australian lamb increased 775% from 2017.
Top 10 categories of imported products bought by Chinese consumers by GMV:
- Health supplements
- Milk powder
- Facial masks
- Infant and toddler nutrition
- Face wash
- Make up remover
- Total GMV settled through Alipay was RMB213.5 billion (USD30.8 billion, AUD42.7 billion), an increase of 27% compared to 2017.
- Cainiao Network processed more than 1 billion delivery orders.
- More than 180,000 participating brands.
- Over 40% of consumers made purchases from international brands.
- 237 brands exceeded RMB100 million in GMV, including leading international brands Apple, Dyson, Kindle, Estée Lauder, L’Oréal, Nestlé, Gap, Nike and Adidas.
- 230 countries and regions with completed transactions.
- Lazada participated in 11.11 as part of the Alibaba ecosystem, bringing the festival to consumers.