The National Transport Commission (NTC) has announced the appointment of Dr Gillian Miles as its new chief executive officer and commissioner.
Dr Miles, a former Victorian government senior executive, will commence in the role next week following an extensive recruitment process.
NTC chairwoman Carolyn Walsh said the appointment of Dr Miles has come at an important time with the NTC undertaking a number of significant reforms in land transport.
“Innovation, change management and a strategic mindset were front of mind for this appointment, particularly as the NTC continues to make major progress on several landmark transport reforms, including the regulation of automated vehicles and a review of the heavy vehicle national law.
“I’m confident that Gillian’s wealth of knowledge and experience is well suited to leading the NTC through a period of significant change across the land transport sector,” Ms Walsh said.
Ms Walsh also acknowledged the contribution of acting CEO Dr Geoff Allan following the departure of former CEO and commissioner Paul Retter AM in late 2018.
Dr Miles comes to the NTC with a long history of related senior appointments, including:
- Head of Transport for Victoria, 2015–2018.
- Chief executive officer, City of Greater Geelong, 2014–2015.
- Head of strategy & performance, Transport Accident Commission, 2013–2014.
- Deputy Secretary, Transport, Department of Transport, Planning and Local Infrastructure, 2009–2013.
- Deputy Secretary, Community Development, Department of Planning and Community Development, 2007–2009.
- Executive Director Regional Services, VicRoads, 2002–2007.
- Board member Roads Australia.